Sunday, March 18, 2012

Spring Cleaning of the Soul

I need to clean the cobwebs out of my creative life, Mrs. B. I think it may be time for a little spring cleaning. The winter has been dark and long and fallow -- last year, in fact was a creative year without a spring.

Yeah, this being my basement, I need to do more spring cleaning in all parts of my life



I never really got into any of my projects, Mrs. B.

And, I think that was part everything that seemed to slow down, last year (and for the last couple of months): not reading enough, not writing enough, not editing enough. Just not caring, I guess.

Even when I did get work in it wasn't really... great. Not that I expect everything to be fantastic, but the NaNo Project I finished was lack luster. It wasn't the project I wanted to do and nothing was working, so even though I got in my 50k, I put it down. This is the first time I've done that -- done a NaNo and wasn't even interested in the characters or the story. And here's the thing: I know I can put in the time, butt in the chair and get writing and editing done and I can get it done pretty quickly, but if I don't care about my story, no one else will either.

So, I was talking to my good friend Genn about how lost this year was starting to be, too, and she said "We need a creative spring cleaning."
Somehow, I'll have to make sure to hit up the corners. That's where the cobwebs live.
 I'm kind of taken with this idea. I'm not entirely sure how to implement it. But, I need to figure it out.

Maybe I need to read more. I've already started trying to do this, if you hadn't noticed. And I was doing pretty well with that until I hit my two recent books, but more on that later.

Maybe I need to find new creative inspiration. Time to switch up the music.

I think part of it may be cleaning up my workspace and changing that up. Cleaning out old story ideas and moving things on. Moving things out. I need to get stories in the hands of my first line of readers. I really do.

Maybe I need to do what I would do when spring cleaning the house. Only, with my creative life. Build new webs. And, be careful for what might be living in the corners.

While I like to try to be like a spider, building webs and catching my creative... juices in it, this little guy may be a bit more risky than I wanted to be.....

Any suggestions on how to get it going, Mrs. B? What should I do to spring clean my life?

Ever your student,

-OA.

3 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea!! This is SO something that I need to do myself. I have no idea where to start!!

    I have been on the ropes about my recent WIP and my editing project feels like a mess. To be honest, i know its not that big of a mess, but its FEELS that way and all the work that needs doing is keeping me from starting.

    When that happens-- i try to set minimums for myself-- what is the smallest possible thing i can do to move out of this funk? What is the largest? If i can get the smallest done, I'll feel better. Sometimes its works.

    I'm more taken with this spring cleaning idea. Maybe i just need to drop the stuff that's weighing me down and clean out the creative closet? Let me know how you get on!

    I always start with a new notebook ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a new notebook is a fantastic idea.

    And I think it sounds like you need creative spring cleaning, too.

    Currently, I'm starting with lists. Lots of lists. I'm even digging out an old list whereupon (I just wanted to say "whereupon" ;) ) I wrote down all of my projects from a certain period and where I was at with them. Mostly, because I want to see if I've done anything with them since then and after I've finished editing the story I've been currently fussing with, where do I go next? Is there an older story I can edit up sooner rather than later? What old ideas spark new interest? That kind of thing.

    I'm thinking about doing a summer NaNo, when I'm in a better place to do it and have shaken a few spiders from the corners and forced them to make new webs, but that's another thought for another post, methinks.

    I'll keep you posted, though, if you keep me in the loop. I'm always curious about how someone else is going about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I think I lose sight SO often of the fact that all of this is supposed to be fun. Right? Remember when writing was just FUN and that's why we did it? I feel like so often it's "must meet my minimum," "must have book agent ready," "ahhhh this sucks" and that isn't fun. None of it is.

    I think that's why I knit so often lately. Knitting is not one of the creative projects I have on a list or checkbox of any kind. I don't have to do it. I can do it if I feel like, but if my blanket project takes years to complete, eh...that's fine. (It won't, though--I'm only a few squares away!).

    How can we make this more FUN and less of a slog? I don't know. Because we all have big goals, and those goals mean big pressure. But it's something to think about.

    ReplyDelete